Saturday, February 19, 2011

It's in our Roots

I started this blog because many people ask me how to grow food, and they want a recommendation of a book or manual. I've been growing food since I was a ten year old child in Hilo, Hawaii, planting the seeds of anything my mom brought home from the store, and gathering advice from friends of family and neighbors. I learned from others, from experience, and later, from reading.

Some years later, I teach gardening and ecology at an elementary school in Oakland, CA, where we grow vegetables and lately maize and wheat in a year round garden onsite. I also manage a community garden in South Berkeley, and grow food in my backyard, along my fence, behind the garage, and basically in any available space.

These days, many people are worried about the economy and an uncertain future, are thinking about growing some of their own food. I want to say that growing food is something that everyone and anyone can learn to do--after all, it's in our roots. All of us, no matter our background, come from people who raised or tended plants for food. In fact, we couldn't grow the crops we do today if they hadn't raised that food, and saved the seeds to plant later.

The main things needed to grow food are the powers of observation, patience, and a healthy respect for the soil. If you don't already have these qualities, you will develop them as you garden. It's also incredibly fun and rewarding, and can even be a spiritual experience if you allow it. I look forward to sharing with you, and hearing of your gardening stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment